- Nithya Anand
- Katy, Texas, United States
- Hello there !! I'm glad you found my blog :-). I'm Nithya & my very close friends call me Nithu. I started this blog back in 2007, when my daughter Divya was born & I christened it " Divya KuttyzKitchen". I'm blessed with a handsome little guy too. My precious two kept me busy for quite these years, its Feb 2014 and I realized my blog needed some serious uplift, So here I am back to blogging. I use my iPhone for clickin & uploadin the pictures in my blog.I know its needs improvement. Let's just say, I'm just happy the way they are for now & when I do find time, I might improve on it. I also own an Etsy store, where I sell my handmade Soap bars, Cupcake soaps, Body butter, Body scrub, Lip balms & more... I plan on adding a few more Categories to my blog like Kiddie food, Travel, Soap making, Crafts etc..
Friday, April 4, 2014
Raw plantains -2
Oil - 5-6 spoonfuls as needed ( pan fried as you would fry fishes)
Chilli powder - 1 spoon
Coriander powder - 3/4 spoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
Hing - 2 pinches
Curry leaves - 4-5
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 spoon
Yogurt - 1 spoon
Salt - as needed.
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
1) 1 cup mixed dried beans ( I used black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, black & brown chick peas) combine , wash n rinse once and soak them overnight.
2) I carrot (peeled & cubed)
3) 1 small potato (peeled & cubed)
4) 1 small onion (finely diced)
5) 1 tomato ( chopped into huge chunks)
6) 1 long Thai green chili ( finely chopped)
7) 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
8) 1/2 tsp chilli powder
9) 1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
10) 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
11) 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
12) 1 tsp lemon juice
13) 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
14) 2 tbsp corn starch ( thicken the gravy)
15) 2 tbsp olive oil
Cold winter evenings make me yearn for a hot bowl of soup. When i say soup, it cant be anything other than chilli bean soup, DH being a pure vegetarian, I came up with this version of veg soup ( stew)
1) Don't drain the water from the soaked beans ( I can literally hear my mom screaming in my ears!!!, I know she'll be disappointed if I spilled vital nutrients away). So just pressure cook for 4-5 whistles till its fully cooked & almost at the point of becoming mushy - it shouldn't be mushy yet !! So stop right there.
2)Heat a stock pot or deep pan & add 2 spoons olive oil. Add the chopped onions, green chillies sauté for a minute, now toss in the ginger garlic paste & sauté till the raw smell goes away, add the tomato now & sprinkle some salt. cover cook for a minute, then roughly mash the tomato onion mixture . now add all the chopped vegetables, cover cook for a minute & add the cooked beans, along with the precious stock water. Add turmeric, chilli & cumin powder, mix well. Mix the corn starch with 5 tbsp water & pour along with the mixture. Turn off the stove, when you reach a specific consistency the delights you ( soup or stew !!). Now garnish with chopped cilantro & add the lemon juice. Pour it into bowls & add some crushed black pepper.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
- MUTTON / LAMB Minced - 1/2 Pound
- Onion - 1 medium Diced finely
- Garlic - 2 bulbs, peeled & diced finely
- Green chillies - 3- 4 diced finely diced
- Potato - 3 medium sized, peeled, pressure cooked , Mashed
- Cilantro - a bunch well chopped
- Mint - 5-8 leaves well chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch finely chopped
- Salt - as per taste
- Egg - 1
- All purpose flour - 2 spoons for dusting
- Capsicum - red, yellow, green (mixed) 1/2 cup..optional
- Oil - for frying
- chilli powder - 1 spoon
- Turmeric - 1/2 spoon
- Garam Masala -1/4 spoon
- Pepper Powder - 1/4 spoon
- Lemon juice - 2 spoons
- Bread crumbs - 1 bowl..
1.Heat a wide mouthed pan, throw in some Oil..when warm, add the chopped garlic & Ginger, saute for a min, add onion, salt & chillies, then comes the mint & cilantro,just saute for 2 mins..add all the spices & throw in the lemon juice at the end.
2.Now in a bowl, throw in the ground lamb, then add the mashed potato & the sauted vegetables..
3.Add in some salt..Mix well using ur fingers..
4.Crack the egg and add throw in it the bowl ..mix well..Form lemon sized balls..and flatten them out..dust them with maida..
5.now dust them with bread crumbs...
6.Heat a pan..drizzle some olive oil and fry the flattened balls..
7.make sure both sides are evenly cooked and crisp & golden brown..
8.Serve with ketchup or Mint chutney..
No one can eat just 1...........
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
- Blue Crabs -2 ( cleaned and washed with turmeric ,legs and claws removed)
- Shallots -3 (peeled and diced roughly)
- Tomato Paste(Puree) -1 Spoon ( tinned tomato Paste)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 spoon
- Red whole Chillies - 4
- Pepper - 1 Spoon
- Turmeric - 1/4 spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 Spoon
- Garam Masala - 1/2 Spoon
- Olive oil - 2-3 spoons
- Salt - to taste
- Grind Shallots,Chillies,Pepper,Turmeric and cumin seeds into a Paste..
- Heat the pan, drizzle some olive oil.
- Add the ground mixture and saute for a minute.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste.
- Saute till the raw smell diminishes..
- Now add 1 spoon Tomato Paste..
- Add the Crab..Cover and cook till the crabs are done and the gravy thickens..
- Add the garam masala..before removing the pan from the stove
- Garnish with chopped Cilantro..
- Can it be any more easier!!!!!!
I transferred the contents to the Serving Bowl..but still couldn't let go of the gravy sticking to the sides of the pan...i think u know what i did!!!!!!!!!
Yea. threw in some cooked rice in the pan and gave it a quick stir..Sprinkled some salt and Lo i ended up with a yummy CRAB RICE....
Happy blogging, cooking and a Great NEW YEAR....
Thursday, November 13, 2008
- Mango - Medium (Ripe ) Cubed
- Banana - 1 (Ripe)Sliced
- Grapes - a Bunch (Seedless)
- Cantaloupe - 2 Slices (Diced)
- WaterMelon - 2 slices (Diced)
- Apple - 1 Small (Diced)
- Pineapple - 2 slices (Diced)
- Whatever Fruit u can get hold of.....
- Ice cream - Any Flavour..Although i prefer Vanilla or ButterPecan.
- Sugar - 2 Spoons
- Extract - Vanila or Pineapple Extract.
- Condensed Milk - 1/4 Cup.
- Dried Fruits & Nuts - Roasted Almonds,Cashews,Pecans,Raisins,Pineapple,Papaya and dried Cranberries.
- Dice all the fruits evenly..
- Mix them all in a wide mouthed Bowl, with Condensed Milk , Sugar and Vanila Extract.
- Cover and refridgrate.
- When Serving, In a Icecream Bowl,Add 1-2 Scoops of icecream, Now top the icecream with the Fruit Mixture...
- If u r a Dry fruits fan,, Just throw in some Raisins, Roasted Almonds,Pecans,Cashews and also Dried Cranberries,Pineapple,Papaya..
- Finaly garnish with Mint leaves and serve..
Friday, November 7, 2008
- Idlli Rice - 1 Cup
- Coconut - 1 Handful
- Red Whole chillies - 2 + 5 (Diced)
- Onion - 1 Diced (big)
- Channa Dal - 1 spoon
- Mustard - for Seasoning
- Salt - to taste
- Curry Leaves - 5 Leaves
- Soak Rice in Water for 3 hrs..
- Grind Rice, Coconut, 2 Red whole Chillies with salt and Hing
- In a Non stick pan , heat 2 spoon oil, Add Mustard,channa dal,curry Leaves.
- Now add the diced Onions.Fry till its Lightly Cooked..
- Add the Diced Red Chillies.
- Now pour the batter in.
- Sprinkle some salt.
- Keep Stirring the mixture, making sure not to form Lumps.
- When cooked, allow it to cool and make it in the form of kolukattai (refer pic)
- Arrange in idli tray and steam cook as u would Idllis.
- It should take about less than 3-4 mins..
- Remove from the idlli pan ..Serve and garnish with chopped cilantro..
- Goes well with Onion Chutney , ellu chutney or even coconut chutney..
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
- Ginger - 1 inch long (sliced) 3 Nos
- Coconut - 1 inch long (sliced) 5 Nos
- Channa Dhal - 2 Table spoons
- Tamarind - 1/2 inch long
- Red chillies whole - 6
- curry leaves - 4
- Cilantro - 2 long stems with leaves
- water - 1/4 cup
- Heat 2 spoons oil in a pan..
- Add the channa dhal.
- when its golden brown, throw in the ginger and Red chillies.
- Saute for a while..Then add Coconut..Saute for a min
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- keep sauteing for 2 mins..
- Now remove from fire and allow it to cool
- Grind them in a mixer..adding water all along while grinding.(1/4 cup water)
- Heat 2 spoons oil in a pan..
- Add Mustard,when it splutters,add some curry leaves.
- Now add the ground mixture..
- Cover and cook for a while..
- When it comes to the consistency..as in the pic.turn off the stove
- Serve with Idlli or Dosai.