1) 1 cup mixed dried beans ( I used black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, black & brown chick peas) combine , wash n rinse once and soak them overnight.
2) I carrot (peeled & cubed)
3) 1 small potato (peeled & cubed)
4) 1 small onion (finely diced)
5) 1 tomato ( chopped into huge chunks)
6) 1 long Thai green chili ( finely chopped)
7) 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
8) 1/2 tsp chilli powder
9) 1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
10) 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
11) 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
12) 1 tsp lemon juice
13) 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
14) 2 tbsp corn starch ( thicken the gravy)
15) 2 tbsp olive oil
Cold winter evenings make me yearn for a hot bowl of soup. When i say soup, it cant be anything other than chilli bean soup, DH being a pure vegetarian, I came up with this version of veg soup ( stew)
1) Don't drain the water from the soaked beans ( I can literally hear my mom screaming in my ears!!!, I know she'll be disappointed if I spilled vital nutrients away). So just pressure cook for 4-5 whistles till its fully cooked & almost at the point of becoming mushy - it shouldn't be mushy yet !! So stop right there.
2)Heat a stock pot or deep pan & add 2 spoons olive oil. Add the chopped onions, green chillies sauté for a minute, now toss in the ginger garlic paste & sauté till the raw smell goes away, add the tomato now & sprinkle some salt. cover cook for a minute, then roughly mash the tomato onion mixture . now add all the chopped vegetables, cover cook for a minute & add the cooked beans, along with the precious stock water. Add turmeric, chilli & cumin powder, mix well. Mix the corn starch with 5 tbsp water & pour along with the mixture. Turn off the stove, when you reach a specific consistency the delights you ( soup or stew !!). Now garnish with chopped cilantro & add the lemon juice. Pour it into bowls & add some crushed black pepper.
- Nithya Anand
- Katy, Texas, United States
- Hello there !! I'm glad you found my blog :-). I'm Nithya & my very close friends call me Nithu. I started this blog back in 2007, when my daughter Divya was born & I christened it " Divya KuttyzKitchen". I'm blessed with a handsome little guy too. My precious two kept me busy for quite these years, its Feb 2014 and I realized my blog needed some serious uplift, So here I am back to blogging. I use my iPhone for clickin & uploadin the pictures in my blog.I know its needs improvement. Let's just say, I'm just happy the way they are for now & when I do find time, I might improve on it. I also own an Etsy store, where I sell my handmade Soap bars, Cupcake soaps, Body butter, Body scrub, Lip balms & more... I plan on adding a few more Categories to my blog like Kiddie food, Travel, Soap making, Crafts etc..