About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Hello there !! I'm glad you found my blog :-). I'm Nithya & my very close friends call me Nithu. I started this blog back in 2007, when my daughter Divya was born & I christened it " Divya KuttyzKitchen". I'm blessed with a handsome little guy too. My precious two kept me busy for quite these years, its Feb 2014 and I realized my blog needed some serious uplift, So here I am back to blogging. I use my iPhone for clickin & uploadin the pictures in my blog.I know its needs improvement. Let's just say, I'm just happy the way they are for now & when I do find time, I might improve on it. I also own an Etsy store, where I sell my handmade Soap bars, Cupcake soaps, Body butter, Body scrub, Lip balms & more... I plan on adding a few more Categories to my blog like Kiddie food, Travel, Soap making, Crafts etc..

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

PAYA / LAMB TROTTERS

My love Affair with Paya is quite Hilarious.I thought to myself could anyone eat a lamb's trotter???But later learnt the fact its quite healthy for young kids...
My mom Being a Career Woman , always settled in for anything less complicated..when it comes to cooking..So when i Landed in my hubby's place..i heard my mama raving about idiyappam & paya all the time..I couldn't imagine eating idiyappam with a spicy sauce (Paya)..(Back home it was idiyappam and sugar,coconut)..As i told u earlier we settle for the easier stuff..Making Idiyappam was a tough thing to begin with..
Finaly the D day Arrived and we were in Anjappar Chetinad Restaurant i took my turn in trying Aatu kaal Paya and the flavour and aroma and the exotic taste just made me addicted to it..
Enough story telling here's the recipe...

INGREDIENTS:

  1. PAYA - 1/2 Pound

  2. Onion - 1 Medium

  3. Green Chillies - 2 Grated

  4. Ginger - small piece grated

  5. Garlic - 4 Flakes grated

  6. pepper corns - 1/2 spoon

  7. Corriander seeds - 2 spoons

  8. Chilli Powder - 1 spoon

  9. Patta - small piece

  10. Elachi - 1
  11. Cardamom - 2

  12. Javithri - 1

  13. Mint leaf - 1 spoon chopped

  14. Corriander leaves - 1 spoon chopped

  15. Coconut - 5 spoons

  16. Kasakasa - 1 spoon

  17. Cashew - 2

  18. Salt - to taste

  19. Oil - 5 Spoons
METHOD:
  1. Chop the onions.

  2. U can grate ginger,garlic and green chillies or grind them together

  3. Dry roast 6 - 17 and grind them with water into a smooth Paste

  4. Pressure cook lamb trotters or Paya with salt ,Ginger garlic paste & turmeric in a cooker for 20 mins on high flame

  5. 10 mins on low/medium flame.

  6. Heat a pan..add oil..add the diced onions..sprinkle required salt..saute for a minute till it softens..

  7. Now add the ginger,garlic and green chillies paste.

  8. Saute till the raw smell goes off

  9. Now add the ground masala and cover and cook for 10 mins..By this time the paya would have cooked well

  10. Now after letting off the steam..open the cooker and transfer the contents of the pan to the cooker and allow it to cook for in medium flame for 5 mins...U can remove the whistle too if u want..

  11. After 5 mins..transfer the contents of the cooker to a serving bowl ..


  12. Goes well with iddiyappam,Iddli,Dosai or make it a little thicker and serve with rice too.