My love Affair with Paya is quite Hilarious.I thought to myself could anyone eat a lamb's trotter???But later learnt the fact its quite healthy for young kids...
My mom Being a Career Woman , always settled in for anything less complicated..when it comes to cooking..So when i Landed in my hubby's place..i heard my mama raving about idiyappam & paya all the time..I couldn't imagine eating idiyappam with a spicy sauce (Paya)..(Back home it was idiyappam and sugar,coconut)..As i told u earlier we settle for the easier stuff..Making Idiyappam was a tough thing to begin with..
Finaly the D day Arrived and we were in Anjappar Chetinad Restaurant i took my turn in trying Aatu kaal Paya and the flavour and aroma and the exotic taste just made me addicted to it..
Enough story telling here's the recipe...
- PAYA - 1/2 Pound
- Onion - 1 Medium
- Green Chillies - 2 Grated
- Ginger - small piece grated
- Garlic - 4 Flakes grated
- pepper corns - 1/2 spoon
- Corriander seeds - 2 spoons
- Chilli Powder - 1 spoon
- Patta - small piece
- Elachi - 1
- Cardamom - 2
- Javithri - 1
- Mint leaf - 1 spoon chopped
- Corriander leaves - 1 spoon chopped
- Coconut - 5 spoons
- Kasakasa - 1 spoon
- Cashew - 2
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 5 Spoons
- Chop the onions.
- U can grate ginger,garlic and green chillies or grind them together
- Dry roast 6 - 17 and grind them with water into a smooth Paste
- Pressure cook lamb trotters or Paya with salt ,Ginger garlic paste & turmeric in a cooker for 20 mins on high flame
- 10 mins on low/medium flame.
- Heat a pan..add oil..add the diced onions..sprinkle required salt..saute for a minute till it softens..
- Now add the ginger,garlic and green chillies paste.
- Saute till the raw smell goes off
- Now add the ground masala and cover and cook for 10 mins..By this time the paya would have cooked well
- Now after letting off the steam..open the cooker and transfer the contents of the pan to the cooker and allow it to cook for in medium flame for 5 mins...U can remove the whistle too if u want..
- After 5 mins..transfer the contents of the cooker to a serving bowl ..
- Goes well with iddiyappam,Iddli,Dosai or make it a little thicker and serve with rice too.