CHETTINAD KARA KOLUKATTAI:
Learnt this Recipe from my Chettinad friend..She makes the best Kara Kolukattai ..I wud say..
When i was in Pennsylvania, she would barge in with a plate of steaming hot Kara Kolukattai..What could be more delicious???
- Idlli Rice - 1 Cup
- Coconut - 1 Handful
- Red Whole chillies - 2 + 5 (Diced)
- Onion - 1 Diced (big)
- Channa Dal - 1 spoon
- Mustard - for Seasoning
- Salt - to taste
- Curry Leaves - 5 Leaves
- Soak Rice in Water for 3 hrs..
- Grind Rice, Coconut, 2 Red whole Chillies with salt and Hing
- In a Non stick pan , heat 2 spoon oil, Add Mustard,channa dal,curry Leaves.
- Now add the diced Onions.Fry till its Lightly Cooked..
- Add the Diced Red Chillies.
- Now pour the batter in.
- Sprinkle some salt.
- Keep Stirring the mixture, making sure not to form Lumps.
- When cooked, allow it to cool and make it in the form of kolukattai (refer pic)
- Arrange in idli tray and steam cook as u would Idllis.
- It should take about less than 3-4 mins..
- Remove from the idlli pan ..Serve and garnish with chopped cilantro..
- Goes well with Onion Chutney , ellu chutney or even coconut chutney..